Sunday 2 March 2008

La Dolce Vita

I’m finally starting to feel like I’m in school. With an art history paper just handed in, an Italian quiz tomorrow, and book arts homework slowly piling up to my ears, it actually feels like I’m doing some serious work here! =p You would know what I mean if you heard the kinds of announcements we have at dinner - itineraries of towns we visit on Saturdays, a notice looking for hair models for a salon in town (a free dye ‘n cut job!), a casting for a famous Italian rapper’s music video (apparently he’s gonna come to the school to find ten “interesting” faces), and on and on. Haven’t you heard? We’re not in school, we’re just here living the good life. La dolce vita! This is especially true of one class that my roommate is in – instead of meeting at the regular class time last week, they met at a wine tasting and got drunk together while discussing their readings! Now this is the way to go to school, but I digress.

I spent a couple of hours today working on my book arts homework. During class we always have demonstrations on how to make certain kinds of books, so I had to have some amount of prep work done for that. I should have made two accordion books for Thursday, but I ended up procrastinating some more. I’ll do it tomorrow.

I’ve been sitting around in the common room for the past couple of hours -basically since coming back from the studio at about five. I haven’t done anything productive (right, right, Drew. I hear you – when do I ever?). Jacob left his guitar in the common room and I’ve gone back and forth between playing around on it, bothering people (have you ever heard my lovely rendition of Home on the Range?), and learning how to play Classical Gas from Thomas. And I got soundly defeated in checkers (AGAIN) by Henry. Today is just one of those Sundays that’s very relaxed – a lot of people went to Florence for the weekend, so it’s been pretty empty around here. People have been wandering in and out and a lot of hidden musical talent has surfaced. Both Thomas and Steve are awesome guitarists, and Suzanna has a really nice singing voice plus a million hippy songs up her sleeve.

I’m trying to avoid thinking about dinner because I have no groceries left downstairs…again. And someone totally ate my cheese. I’m very upset about that. Maybe I’ll just eat Nutella. Mmmmmm….

No comments: