Sunday 24 February 2008

Oh, Margarita.

This past Friday was the feast day of Santa Margarita of Cortona. Never heard of her? Me either, but just imagine St. Patrick’s day meets the Fourth of July and you might have an idea of what it felt like. Since Rebecca, my drawing teacher, had to sing in the choir at the same time our class was to meet, that meant a holiday for all of us. The festivities started early, with what looked like an entire carnival gathered in front of Santa Margarita’s, a church on the top of the hill and only a couple minutes of almost vertical walking from the Kehoe. If you’re wondering why that church (besides the obvious reason that it’s named after S. Margarita), then let me clue you in: this fourteenth century saint’s mummified body also happens to be on the altar. A little weird in my mind and definitely not the way I’d want my body displayed after my death. I mean, okay…I’ve seen tons and tons of saints by now whose bodies were preserved in this unreal-looking, waxy-doll type of way, but this is the first mummy saint I’ve seen. And why on the main altar, does anyone know? Anyway, moving on.

On Santa Margarita’s feast day everyone comes out to celebrate. Please note: Americans celebrate saint feast days by wearing certain colors and having parades. Italians celebrate by bringing the party to church. The entire town walks up the hill where there’s Mass continually throughout the day. Right outside the church doors are every kind of vendor. You can buy food, toys, balloons…it’s literally a carnival. People mingle outside and inside the church, processing through the main altar to pay their respects to S. Margarita and there’s the constant sound of coins dropping in the votive candle slots. Since Mom happens to share her birthday with S. Margarita I decided to light one, too.

The Procession inside the church was like nothing I’ve ever experienced. First came the drummers…yes, drummers. As in about half a dozen boys dressed in medieval garb and making the entire church echo and pulse with drumbeats, followed closely by a nice dose of incense. Then came about a dozen priests and the bishop of the diocese. It was definitely the coolest procession I've ever seen. Just the way to celebrate a feast day. Can you rent drummer boys for weddings I wonder?

No comments: