Thursday 21 February 2008

The ballet...American style

It's midnight and I just got back from seeing a ballet in the local teatro, the oldest and coolest theater I've ever been to. A whole bunch of us went to see a tribute to Fred Astaire, meaning lots of Italians dancing to American music. It was quite entertaining. While I was more dressed up than I have been since I left the states (thanks to my roommates who lent me most of the clothes that I wore), I still felt underdressed just because our surroundings were so...how can I say it? FREAKIN AWESOME. =D

Okay...imagine...an old theater with four stories of private balconies, red velvet chairs and curtains, and ooold wooden floors that look like they've been around for ions and ions and ions. My roommates and I got to sit in our own third story balcony (#9), that had its own door to close off for privacy and coat hangers for our coats. =p I felt like I needed a pair of binoculars and a fan, just to feel all stylish and be able to giggle behind as I flirted with handsome men in other balconies (JUST KIDDING, actually, the only guys there were above us!).

The show was really neat - a lot of impressive dancing and flashy costumes. I'll admit...it was rather strange to be sitting in an old theater in Italy and listening to "It's a Grand Old Flag" - almost as weird as watching fireworks over the Eiffel tower on Bastille Day and listening to Mary Poppins music, the Harry Potter soundtrack, and American patriotic songs (yes, believe it or not, that happened when I was in Paris). But it was fun. And going home afterwards, we all danced up the hill. =D

No comments: